Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Petticoat

I used the La Mode Bagatelle Regency Wardrobe pattern for the Bodiced Petticoat.

The pattern had a gathered skirt but I wanted smooth skirt similar to the Sense and Sensibility Regency Dress due to the medium weight of my cotton fabric so I created my own skirt. I wished I had followed the waist curve of the Sense and Sensibility pattern.

I found it a little challenging getting the "right" fit as the underbust circumference and lower bodice back were too wide whilst the arm scye was too narrow for me.   I needed to complete the garment before I was able to determine whether I had correctly fitted the bodice. The underbust and lower back is not tight enough for me to feel confident to wear the petticoat without Stays. I was contemplating whether to alter the back by reducing the back seam and lacing the back to pull it in tighter. Before making any decisons, I wore the petticoat over Stays for an afternoon and am very happy to wear the petticoat as it is over Stays.



 Next time I use this pattern for a petticoat, I intend to create the bodice closing in the front (rather than back) and lace it similar to short stays - that way I will confidently achieve the Regency life without feeling the need for Stays or require a lady's maid to assist me.

No comments:

Post a Comment